2 weeks ago
Ditch the Double Life: Tips on Talking to Your Family and Friends

We want to make it as easy as possible for you to introduce your family and friends to your life in the Sugar Bowl, if that’s a step you’re ready to take. Whether you’re the type of person to divulge every detail of your dating life, or you’re more reserved, you should feel comfortable — not like you have something to hide.

Follow these tips to begin the conversation with the people in your life whom you’re ready to share your Sugar experiences with. Because of that, we want to make it as easy as possible to talk to your friends and family about your Sugar life, especially if it is something they haven’t experienced for themselves.

Plan Ahead

Preparation is key when bringing up your Sugar life to loved ones. If you have a feeling they might not understand Sugar dating, be prepared to have to answer a lot of questions. It helps to plan your talking points ahead of time. Although the conversation likely won’t fit your ideal script, at least you will be able to get your main points across.

Be Honest

You’ve made the active step to let your friends or family know about your Sugar life, so now it’s time to decide just how much you are comfortable sharing. You are not obligated to share every detail of your personal life with anyone, but it will probably feel good to let those closest to you know about your preferred style of dating. Set boundaries for yourself and only discuss what feels right for you. Use these discussions as a time to educate others on Sugar dating instead of feeling like you need to give them a complete rundown of your personal dating life.

Avoid the Sugar Slang

If you have to talk to grandma or your super traditional parents, you might want to stay clear of bringing up Sugar dating terms immediately, as they might not understand them or, have old-fashioned ideas of what they may mean. For example, instead of saying Sugar Baby or Sugar Daddy, you can tell them you’re dating a new young woman or seeing a successful older man.

Educate

The reason most people don’t agree with Sugar dating is because they don’t understand it. Keep in mind, they may have their own ideas about the Sugar life, but it is up to you to let them know what it’s all about. Being vocal about Sugar helps people outside the lifestyle to better understand what Sugar dating is and more importantly what it isn’t.

Own it

You don’t owe it to anyone to discuss your private life and the way you date, but whether you choose discretion or confession, you should always own your Sugar status. It may not be the way everyone decides to find relationships, but, hey, you’re not everyone. You’re you, and you should be proud of that.

Want more tips on Sugar support? Head to our social channels and join our Campaign for Positive Sugar, where we are working to spread positivity surrounding the Sugar world.

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr

41 Responses to “Ditch the Double Life: Tips on Talking to Your Family and Friends”

1. lol says:

mmm totally going to tell my parents I’m having sex with a dude older than them!! great idea! I’m free of guilt now!!!!!

2. Ashley says:

I need a sugar daddy first lol

3. Imajen says:

I haven’t chosen to “share” my choice to enter the Sugar Lifestyle. I figure since my SD and I are the only ones who are involved in the arrangement, why add any unnecessary drama?
    Imajen

4. Alexis says:

That all being said though, I just thought it’d be funny to write it that way =D

In truth it depends on the individual and those close to them, it could go either way.

5. Alexis says:

Are you serious?

This isn’t a disney movie, the whole the truth will set you free thing is nice in theory but reality isn’t a video game, it’s not designed for you win to win.

Before civilization you’d get eaten by animals or clubbed to death for being too honest about how good your villages defenses are to your neighbors lol.

Cmon lol get real, is this just me? Am I crazy here?

6. alternatedating says:

I’m single … not looking to flash or hide. I’ve told people that I know that its really hard to date interesting women without a lot of baggage so that I tend to date “grad students.” So, if someone sees me, it won’t seem to strange.

Am I the only one who thinks sharing your Sugar Life with family and friends is on the all-time dumb-things-to-do list?

i can’t see any advantage for a man to letting letting people know your into this kind of lifestyle but that’s a personal decision for each person to make

Nope, it’s a bad idea

As has been pointed out above, most people want to keep this kind of thing discreet. Those SA users who are going to tell family and friends about it can probably work out most of the blindingly obvious advice in the article for themselves.

I guess what this is all about is SA trying to make its brand more respectable – an exercise that seems to have been going on for a while but which I guess has taken on an added urgency post-Weinstein. If that’s your goal SA, then for heaven’s sake find a smarter way of achieving it than bombarding us with absurdly anodyne articles like this.

big mistake

8. Walt says:

Seriously, I am asking:
    Women: really think that a ring in your nose makes you more attractive to men?
    Men: are any guys attracted by a nose ring? if so, why? I really want to know.

• Kasey says:

Dear men,
      We do not care if you don’t find our piercings and tattoos attractive. We don’t get them for you. It’s actually a sigh of relief when I can go into a public setting and not be aggressively hit on by men, and hopefully my piercings will deter that. Please return back to your zero messages on SA, and remove yourself from here, lmfao.

• Dave Jr says:

It’s trendy. Like most impressionable dummies, they just follow because it is cool. Nothing ruins the look of an attractive woman more than a chest TAT, the nose ring can be removed easily.

i generally don’t look at their face

9. Clueless (I guess) SD says:

Worse than the tattoos and tongues hanging out are the piercings. There is no greater turnoff for me than to see rings in a woman’s lip or worse, her navel, or worse, her nipples or worse, her genitalia. Who is telling these girls that metal rings, stuck in their otherwise most attractive body parts, are going to be appealing to a lover?

• Person says:

yea that is another one as well…..hey lets travel somewhere….oh wait it will take you 45 minutes at the metal detector to get all your “adornments” out….the desire to “be unique” has created a world of ridiculous followers and “uniquely” the same people

not to mention all the funk that must get caught up in the ones in your lips and cheeks

• Chris says:

Haha, serious you guys sound OLD. If you don’t like tats and piercings stick to women your own age.

• Aletheia223 says:

Piercings and tattoos don’t make a woman “trashy” or “lower quality”. Yes, some of them jumped on the bandwagon because it was the “cool” thing to do, but some get meaningful tattoos or simply just like the look of body jewelry. It doesn’t mean they have no or little self esteem/worth, that is just ignorant to think.

• Luci says:

Chris – I have some sophisticated body art if you’d care to see it..

• alternatedating says:

I tend to stay at fairly high end resorts.

So … given the choice of taking a younger friend with tattoos/piercings vs. one without, guess who’s going to the resort?

And for external piercings/tattoos, I can’t go to a high end restaurant.

For example, when I was in the Wing Lounge at HKG last month or in the Premier Lounge at MIA last week, I wasn’t the only guy in there traveling with an attractive 20 year old. There certainly weren’t any obvious tats or piercings.

• alternatedating says:

Well, when I was at the Wing lounge at HKG last month, at the Premier Lounge at MIA a couple of weeks ago, or at a couple of nice resorts over the past few weeks, I noticed that I was not the only guy my age there who was with an attractive woman in her 20’s. No one was trying to be “seen” but I’d guess just enjoying life.

There were certainly no obvious tattoos or piercing in any of those situations. It just won’t work in that setting.

• Dave Jr says:

Let’s take a test as to esteem on trashy tats/piecing vs clean non-patchouli smelling chicks 25-35…Humm. You will find the dumb ones are tatted/punctured more than the smart ones eos. Why do you have a tongue stud? Can you use it?
        So yes, tats and studs make you less classy regardless of your view, it is in the eye of the beholder(wealthy guys). Read what “dating” has to say below. He is 100% correct. SO easy! on over trashing yourself or you can just stay poor, either way…

Amen, Chris. Just started an arrangement with a very lovely AND appreciative coed who … gasp … happens to have a nose piercing! She is extremely beautiful, intelligent, and fun. If these clowns want to miss out on opportunities because of their own ignorance, that’s their loss!

My “advice” to SDs. Don’t share any information. You’re the stud that younger women flock to. You don’t want to sugar date women who are not into you to some extent, anyway.

Are any of you getting the pop-ups for Bitcoin on SA on Android? I am getting them again and again even after responding to their survey question.

I am wondering if it is a malaware on my phone.

I was going to mention the same thing about tongues. It seems that the strong, independent women like to engage in monkey see, monkey do all too often.

13. With the mind says:

I’m an SD, and I really appreciate this article. I’m tired of not being able to discuss my life with my parents. I’m tired of not being able to answer the question, “You’re rich, what are you doing with your money?” And I’m tired of confining my account of my personal life to, “I’m doing a lot of dating,” without being able to define it further.

14. 59Coco says:

Telling people can be hard, but as long as you let them know and understand why you are doing it they will come around. As a single person I would be dating around regardless, but I am not in a rush to be in a relationship. Also, as a new graduate I am financially having a hard time. This arrangement is the best of both worlds. I get companionship and financial help. Plus, I already dated guys older. Ladies you are an adult and it is your life to live, so live it.

15. Dazed SD says:

what’s with all the girls pictures with their tongue hanging out !

16. duh says:

Posted 2nd time – Stop censoring free speech and right of reply if you publish a pice expect people to give their true opinions on it…

Will SA ever hire any staff writers who don’t write patronising articles aimed at a teenage audience?.. and why are they always female..? About time you employed a frank speaking male with experience of the REAL sugar bowl not the illusory world you try to create on this site. Reading SA blog is like stepping back into 1950s advertising with a world that bears no resemblance to actual reality. Just how many 40-50+ mature male sugar daddies does the writer think will be talking to their ‘grandma’ or parents about their dating relationships…??

The idea that we need advice on what to say to friends and family is nonsense.. stop writing pieces that only relate to teenage girls, at least half your audience is male amd mature and even the women in their 20s and 30s on this site don’t need stuff that wouldn’t even make into the cheaper women’s magazines.. hire some decent writers who can actually explore genuine issues with intelligence.. !

17. duh says:

Will SA ever hire any staff writers who don’t write patronising articles aimed at a teenage audience?.. and why are they always females..? About time you employed a frank speaking male with experience of the REAL sugar bowl not the illusory world you try to create on this site. Reading SA blog is like stepping back into 1950s advertising with a world that bears no resemblance to actual reality. Just how many 40-50+ mature male sugar daddies does the writer think will be needing to talk to their ‘grandma’ or parents about their dating relationships…??

The idea that SDs need advice on what to say to friends and family is nonsense.. stop writing pieces that only relate to teenage girls, at least half your audience is male and mature and even the women in their 20s and 30s on this site don’t need this patronising stuff that wouldn’t even make into the cheaper women’s magazines.. hire some decent writers who can actually explore genuine issues with intelligence.. !