2 weeks ago
Report & Avoid Online Dating Scams

Online scammers abound: They’re hiding out in your email inbox, in ads on your favorite websites and even sliding into your DMs on online dating websites and apps. By far the largest team at SeekingArrangement.com, Customer Support works diligently to filter out users breaking our Terms of Service. We sat down with SA’s Head of Fraud Investigation to learn about the most common scams in the online dating world.

Personally Identifying Information

Scammers love personally identifying information. From your address and bank account number to your phone number or even your full name, scammers can turn seemingly innocuous details into gold mines. Wait until trust is established with a POT to give out basic personally identifying information or maintain privacy using services like Google Voice, WhatsApp, or Hushed.

Too Good to Be True

If it’s too good to be true, it’s probably not true! Potential partners offering or requesting money before meeting are most likely a scam. Requests for emergency funds due to wild circumstances (e.g., “my car broke down, and my phone AND laptop were simultaneously struck by lightning!”) or offers to “send $10,000.00 provided you just wire a measly $1000.00 to my bank account in return” seem like scams because they probably are!

Reportable Offenses

Listing phone numbers and asking for money up front in a profile are both examples of reportable offenses on SeekingArrangement.com. While SA’s customer support team works diligently to remove offenders before they even make it to the live site, users can help make the Sugar Bowl a safer place to play by reporting users with bad intentions. Below is a list of guidelines for reporting on SeekingArrangement.com.

• Use the most accurate “report reason.”
  • Don’t falsify reports.
  • Don’t report the same account multiple times.
  • If you are violating the terms of service and report someone else for violating the terms of service … it’s likely you’ll be booted as well!
  • If someone is annoying you but not breaking Terms of Service, block, don’t report!

Get more advice on making the most of the online dating world on SeekingArrangement’s social media.

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

18 Responses to “Report & Avoid Online Dating Scams”

1. Xaviar says:

Don’t forget some of these accounts are set up by police in order to sting you. Be careful.

2. Annoyed by Scams says:

Okay, so anonymously, I have to admit; Scam accounts are all I’m really finding. The only person I spoke to thus far as an actual person wouldn’t accept the distance between us to meet up and backed out with no wording. It’s pretty disappointing. However I’ve not left the site. There is always bad apples where good seeds can also be found.

I am a young lady in SA Nelinko i have been scammed in this website by old men who supposed to support me.
      This website is like the world , you meet bad and good people but the important its a school to learn from

3. Mandy says:

If he can’t even send $50 he’s a scam not me lol

4. RobertInCT says:

Once or twice I’ve been asked for money up front and then blocked when I declined. But what’s the deal with “ghosting”? (At least I think that’s the term). Where everything seems to be going swimmingly online. You arrange a meeting to gauge the chemistry. And she doesn’t show and you never hear from her again! I think a lot of young women need lessons about basic etiquette.

• Eva says:

Rampant ghosting is the reason why I left the site in the past. It is not just younger SBs who do it, some men who should know better have no problem going ghost.

It seems like most SD think their time is highly valuable and yet they have no respect for the SB’s time.

5. Spirit S Angasan says:

This guy I wqas talking to tried to get me to give him my bank info log in. I was like why he said to pay me, thats not how it works.

6. Joe Winko says:

Seeking Arrangement is FULL of scammers! I was having men messaging me saying that they wanted to pay me before they even met me and THEN they were asking me for my ‘bank information’ and when i tell them i don’t have a bank account, they stop talking to me! it’s sick!

it’s so fucked up that people on the site are trying to scam young people who don’t have any money in the first place! it’s bad to scam anyone, but that’s just really low down :( the site needs to do something about that!

7. Miffy says:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that requesting money before meeting is a scam. In arrangements where the sugar baby has to fly out to meet the POT, the POT should be sending money for the flight as well as accommodations before the sb books anything.

• Mandy says:

Exactly, why would I go out of my way to meet some random old man off of the internet who doesn’t have any proof of financial credibility without some form of money sent first? If he can’t even send $50 he’s a scam, not me.

• Alex74 says:

It is completely unreasonable for you to expect an SD to send you money before you ever meet them. You think you deserve to be compensated simply for existing?

• Annoyed by Scams says:

I can’t argue with this, I’ve expressed to the SD that if they do not provide the means to get that far, I don’t feel that they are too serious in meeting. Even if it’s just buying lunch… which seems like it shouldn’t even be a request just an obvious.

That can be avoided by the POT making the arrangements. I pay for airline tickets and make hotel reservations. I NEVER send $$ for ANY reason — ANY time I have, I’ve been scammed. 100% of the time.

• Miffy says:

This is unsafe for the sugar baby, she has the right to make her own arrangements so that she is in control and not at his mercy. Sorry, if you actually have the money to spend on a sugar baby her safety and comfort should be more important than risking what should be pocket change to you.

I agree that perhaps travel money could be arranged. But meeting local for dinner and asking for money to eat and “see how it goes” is a scam. Money should only be given to a sb (not a potential sugar baby). Bc until that is established, she is a mere stranger. I don’t give money to strangers to watch them eat. IMO

• alternatedating says:

I don’t meet anyone that I’m not interested in sponsoring. If they’re asking for money to meet for lunch, they’re not my type. It’s evidence that they’re really looking just for money rather than looking for a great sponsor who will provide many multiples of a “lunch allowance.”

• Alex74 says:

I would estimate that 99% of the time an SD you have never met suggests you fly somewhere to meet them it is most likely a scam of some sort.