Online Dating Safety

The internet can be both a blessing and potential minefield. With the advent of online dating, proximity is no longer a limiting factor, which opens daters up to a world of possible matches, as well as risk.

There are two main risks you’ll run into on the internet: scams and dangerous people. A smaller risk, but certainly a main concern within the online dating community, is Catfishing.

Dating sites are often targets for these kinds of activities. Behind the scenes, heavy policing and vetting of profiles takes place to try and weed out potential dangers or abusers. I can’t speak for other dating sites, but on SeekingArrangement and WhatsYourPrice we boot off and deny thousands of profiles every month.

Some people do manage to slip through the cracks. When in doubt, report it!

report.png

blur report message.png

Aside from relying on administrative discretion, there are a variety of ways to practice safe online dating, while guaranteeing a higher protection rate for yourself. A foolproof method is to become background verified and insist on dating only members who have been verified through the site.

Since 2006, SeekingArrangement has trusted TC LogiQ to provide extensive background checks to members and keep members safe. No more endless Google searches to make sure a Sugar Daddy or Sugar Baby is the real deal.

What’s a background check, and why use it for online dating?

TC logiQ assists us in the process of looking up criminal records, and other verification references of an individual. We don’t live in a utopian society, and there is potential risk when dating. Background checks are a way to confirm the person on the other side of the screen is a.) real, and b.) safe to date.

I live outside of the United States, can I become verified?

Yes, background checks are available for our international users, and are checked against each respected countries’ lists and standards, such as Interpol.

What does SeekingArrangement and TC LogiQ check for?

Lesser background checks only reference the National Sex Offenders list, which keeps people registered anywhere from 10 to 20 years.

That was not enough for us. Anyone who submits to the background check will be referenced against:

• National Sex Offenders Registry

• Any past instances of:

• Sexual or violent crimes

• Domestic violence

• Felonious and misdemeanor assaults

• International wants and warrants.

• In addition, TC LogiQ will run an address trace.

Note: If you have a misdemeanor from a non-violent case such as unpaid parking tickets, DUI, or reckless driving, you will not fail our background check. Everyone makes small mistakes, we get it.  We are looking for serious offenders that may pose a threat to our dating community.

What’s an address trace?

Not only does the trace allow us to verify identity, but it also helps in the criminal and offense checks by locating where a person has lived, and whether they committed an offense there.

It is also used as a cross-reference once a criminal record has been identified. Additionally, seeing where a person has lived will assist in determining the type of search that needs to be conducted.

Who has access to my information?

All information provided is confidential and remains within the secure servers of TC LogiQ.

How easy is it to become background verified?

It takes 3 simple steps!

How much is it?

It’s $25 for Sugar Babies, and $50 for Sugar Daddies. This fee is separate from all monthly membership charges.

How long does it take?

Background checks can take 3 to 5 business days. In unique cases, it can take up to 14 days to complete. Don’t worry, some cases just take a bit more time.

You should receive a confirmation email once you create your TC LogiQ account, and another one when it is completed.

Once you are verified, your account will be adorned with a yellow badge.

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 12.13.04 PM.png

You can click someone’s badge to view their background check certificate.

SeekingArrangement_Background_Verification_Certificate.png

If you decide to date someone who has not been verified, I encourage you to perform your own sleuthing. Know who you are about to date, and be sure to have your first meeting in a public place. Never offer or agree to meet at someone’s home, and certainly do not wire money prior to meeting someone in-person, or over Skype/FaceTime (for those of you who prefer online relationships or are considering a long-distance arrangement).

Have you been verified? How did you find the process?

What are other ways to conduct your own background check?

47 Responses to “Online Dating Safety”

1. got virus from SD email says:

Beware of the so called Sugar Daddy’s & Sugar Baby’s that leave you a message with their number or email and then you see you can no longer respond SCAM SCAM SCAM.
    There is no reason to go offsite to email or text. They can gather too much information from email and your number. Unless you want your POT SB or SD to know you before you’ve ever met them, keep your communications on this site.

If they complain about the cost of membership, they are obviously not a SD. It shouldn’t take more than a week or two to plan a meeting. Don’t let them pressure you into anything.

3. Blake Mckeiver says:

I am only just looking for fun atm

4. Alison says:

I am new here. I did think conversation would be better. I wanted to comment on the relationships with doms and subs. It can work like magic. But it has to be the right 2 people or more depending on the case. And I think deep down everyone is looking for deep and meaningful. Love. In all its forms are beautiful.

5. musemeNYC says:

What in the world happened to this site? I was here a few years ago and it was very upscale, or at least “practical” in the expectation/budget category. Now it is a bunch of “negotiable”, who are really “minimal”…..smh

6. agnese says:

hay evri wane.

7. aliceS says:

Onyxx I would delete your 5th picture. The double selfie though. Maybe it’s just me, but I wouldn’t want it to be there if I wanted to met someone successful. Others are just gorgeous

8. aliceS says:

Onyx is new onyx or old?

9. Elaine says:

Onyxx, would like to see your profile, but get the message it cannot be found.
    Is your profile number correct?

10. Onyxx says:

You guys I really need help with my profile. I have gotten two hits since I have been a member. Could you Cupcakes and sugarbowls help me out? My profile number is 2272461. thanks in advance

11. dulce says:

first ;-*

12. Josh says:

@Eloquence

“@ Josh

“read and carry on.”

Did you mean to say “skip reading and carry on”?

13. Josh says:

FatB’StardSD says:
    July 25, 2014 at 4:59 am
    I love the fact that verification costs $50 for a SD and only $25 for a SB.”

The real cost of carrying out verification is probably around $0.25?

I am not going to get verified next year.

14. FatB'StardSD says:

I love the fact that verification costs $50 for a SD and only $25 for a SB.

15. Eloquence says:

@ Josh

IF you find my comments incoherent, difficult to process or not to your caliber of personal expectations, then by ALL means…read and carry on.

16. flyR says:

Adding to Erik’s comments about the verification service, I took the time to read their privacy and other policies. You basically absolve them of any wrongdoing including mis use of information. They are not required to take down false information. You may not sue but are committed to binding arbitration under their arbitrator at their mountain state headquarters. I did share with them that they had a pretty major error in one of the provisions but never heard back from them. My take is that it is there as a revenue generator and also source of defense for SA.

SB’s should not lower their guard just because someone is “verified” .

17. Erik says:

Many of us work in the IT industry, and we understand the dangers inherent in using services like this verification service. We also understand that it’s virtually worthless. Worse than worthless really, since it gives a false sense of security. Just because someone is verified, doesn’t mean they are safe.

I choose not to be verified, despite the pressure SA places on us by putting scary messages on our accounts warning potential SB’s that we could be evil people, and getting them to pressure us to pay for this service.

Way back when the service was first introduced, Brandon promised in this very blog they would not use hard ball tactics to push people to verify, that didn’t last long and that promise was reneged upon.

The reason I choose not to be verified is that I don’t trust the service to delete the data they say they delete. This makes them a target for every identity thief on the planet. I’m not giving them my social security number, drivers license, or whatever… And honestly, neither should you.. but that’s up to you to decide.

18. Josh says:

*Attempt to write thing people may understand.

19. Josh says:

This is not the retarded crowd from the few months back anymore that considered your gibberish to be some sort of profound statements. Attempt to write thing people may understand.

20. Eloquence says:

I do have a legitimate question regarding the blog safety topic. I noticed domestic violence. I find that extremely important. However, what about women who have misdemeanors out of defending themselves in these cases? Or scenarios of that nature? If dui is brushed under the rug, then is someone with a misdemeanor of any cause automatically denied access? Im really curious considering 20 and up make mistakes, dont they? Its called “adult monsters” that builds their character and strengthens who they are internally since mom and dad cant just turn the hall light on anymore and say, where? The monsters disappear when the light is turned on. Can anyone shed some light on this subject please?

21. Eloquence says:

@ yougotta

Thank you for the kind correction.

@ Josh

Encouraging me adds oil to the fire :-)

22. Eloquence says:

Yeay!!!! I see everyone on blog won spelling bee’s as a child too….and possibly competed in Debate Club as well!

@ Southern

Very good to hear! :) missed ya!~

23. SouthernSB says:

Oh, yes things are starting to look up. Next month is going to be way better than this month was.

24. aliceS says:

Hey southern how are you? Did you resolved your last issues? Hope everything is going fine for you now

25. SouthernSB says:

Ugh, “does” typos can really ruin a good joke.

26. SouthernSB says:

I can trap a penis with my vagina, but I’ve never tried to break a pencil. Hey, doe anybody have a pencil, I can’t seem to find mine.

27. Josh says:

@yougottabekiddingme

“Maybe” is it. 😉

28. aliceS says:

Yougottabekiddingme oh Sataney is a female. I thought it was a guy. Oops my bad. Well I can’t break pencil with vagina nor someone’s penis even. Hm…

29. Josh says:

“Perhaps she means girl friend as in a friend that is a girl, or maybe her lesbian lover who also has a taste for sugar?”

Not that anyone has any right to objecting anyone’s lifestyle, whatever that may be, mind your own fucking business…but I get a kick out of the liberal PC style of defending cerain groups of people, popularized by Oprah, el al.

30. “Your gf? And you don’t mind her being in a relationship with other guys??? Wooow”

Sataney can break pencils with her vagina, so I think she’s a female? Perhaps she means girl friend as in a friend that is a girl, or maybe her lesbian lover who also has a taste for sugar?

31. “Still need to be cautious of the other person despite background check!”

Yep. There are plenty of undocumented crazies out there. Sometimes the only reason people don’t have criminal records is because they haven’t been caught. Muy cuidado.

32. ““The way a team plays as a [whole] determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” ~~ Babe Ruth ~~”

Maybe this is in reference to the boyfriend-girlfriend sugar baby duo.

33. @anon
    “Wow why would you not use your real birth date? Trying to seem younger than you are?”

She thought she was signing up for a premium account…not a background check. She likely didn’t use her real birthdate for reasons of privacy and anonymity…which I’m sure you can relate to :).

34. Josh says:

@Eloquence

I still don’t understand what you write. Keep it up sweetheart! 😉

35. Sugar says:

Still need to be cautious of the other person despite background check!

36. Eloquence says:

As a “whole”.. sorry Babe, its the cell phone spell checker, your words still hold clout.

37. Eloquence says:

“The way a team plays as a. While determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” ~~ Babe Ruth ~~

38. Mo25 says:

I’m sure they met on the site.

39. aliceS says:

40. anon says:

41. Sataney Shibari says:

My gf joined this site as per my recommendation and instead of getting a premium upgrade she requested a background check by accident.

Slight problem: she didn’t register with her real birth date and her background check was completed with what she had filled out initially. Passed.

Food for thought.

42. Josh says:

Background check on SDs and SMs has sone meaning. The background check of a 20-something female is pretty meaningless.

43. RSD says:

I think I may have done the background check once on an old and now deleted account, but all it does is verify who I am, not that anything I say in my profile is in any way accurate. And I never got the sense that I got more responses from SBs being verified. But my profile is hidden from search, so I am always the one initiating the messages.

44. Josh says:

Dang Alice. You beat me to it. No worries though. I was enjoying some “quality time” with my FB. 😉

45. aliceS says: